Friday, October 13, 2006

I learned something really cool today


I learned something really cool today: You're probably familiar with the story of Jesus sitting around the table with his disciples when he said, "The truth is, one of you will betray me". The disciples then asked him, "Lord, who is it?" Jesus replied, "It is the one whom I give the bread dipped in the sauce (or wine)." Then he gave it to Judas.

Well, the Palestian meal time was seen as very different then ours. It was a much more intimate time and something you would not do with just anyone. If fact, you were never to dine with your enemy, unless you wanted to reconcile with him. If you did want to reconcile, the tradition was to dip the bread into the wine and hand it to the one whom you wanted to be reconciled with, then he would eat it, dip in the wine again, and give back to back to the person who initiated the reconciliation for them to eat.

Do you see what I'm saying? Jesus was offering Judas a way out. It can't be any clearer what Jesus was doing. He was saying, "Judas I know what you decided to do and this is your chance to reconcile with me. It's not too late".

Judas took the bread and ate it, but did not pass it back to Jesus - he chose his path. He rejected the offer for reconciliation. So Jesus said, "lsince you've chosen to go forth with it] Hurry, go and do it now!" Man how sad.

A lot of times we look at Judas' story and wonder if he had a way out. Wasn't it prophesied that someone would do it? Wasn't he the chosen one to betray Jesus? Actually, he was the one who chose. All him. He had a way out and did not take it.

I wonder how many times Jesus offers us a way out or a way back to him and we just simply ignore Him. I love how Jesus initiated the reconciliation even though he did nothing wrong. It reminds me that when I sin, He does not run from me, but instead walks toward me longing for me to return. That's real love.
Post a Comment