Tuesday, December 26, 2006

A New Year & A New Commitment

I'm excited about 2007. I love the chance to start fresh. New commitments, new goals, new opportunities. One of the things I feel God challenging me in is in giving. I've been meditating on 2 Cor. 9 the last few days and I've been reminded that one of the biggest indicators of my heart's condition is my giving. Do I really believe in the words of Jesus when he said, "the measure you use in giving will be used to measure what is given back to you..."?

2 Cor. 9 says that "a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. You must each decide in your heart how much to give... for God loves a person who gives cheerfully." My goal this year is to learn to give. To give more than ever before. To mean it more. To do it more cheerfully. To ask God constantly when, how much, and to whom to give. To make it part of life. My goal is to act on the words of Jesus and plant many seeds that will impact eternity.

When Mandy and I got married we decided to try to increase our giving every year by a little bit. We started at 10% and continued to increase a little at a time. It has been very fulfiling to give to the church, to individuals, and to ministries; but at the same time I feel like compared to how much we have, we really should give more. When I read, learn, and remember the condition of the world outside my current little 'bubble' - the millions of people starving in poverty - I can't help but think "I need to do more!" Jesus taught that "the more you have, the more that is expected from you". Man, I need to reprioritize my life! I will try and with God's help and wisdom I will learn to give according to His Will.
Post a Comment