Sunday, July 01, 2007

Eye-Opening Experience in Brazil

We just came back from a mission trip to Sao Paulo, Brazil. I grew up in Sao Paulo, but still every time I go back I am shocked by the condition of life that people live in. Little kids living under bridges, families of 8 living in one-room "houses", homeless women drinking water from the sewer... Things that no human being should have to do!

This trip reminded me once again how priviledged and spoiled we can get living in America. Not only that, but it reminded me of our great responsibility and opportunity to use our resources to help people in need.

One night in Brazil as we were doing home visits, I sat in a house where 8 people lived. I was holding a little 1-year old baby in my arms that was growing up in not so good conditions. As I sat there and heard the family's story, I looked at this childs face and thought, "this child is no different then mine. My daughter Lily could've been born here. He is just as loved by God as my daughter. These people didn't choose to be born here, just like I didn't choose to be born in a middle-class home..." What a thought! It brought me to tears.

That is one of the reasons why I dedicated my life to spreading the love of God. It's a love that restores life. It's a love that renews hope. It a love that compells you to make a difference in the world. It's a love that can transform every life, in every nation, in every culture. I'm gonna try my best to do my part in changing the world.
Post a Comment