Thursday, March 13, 2008

Living from the heart


The more I live life the more I realize how easy it is for us to stop living from the heart.  I look around and realize most people don't really have a passion - something that consumes every part of who they are; something that drives them to take risks, live adventurously...

Too often us Christians live from our minds.  We have Scripture in our minds, but it doesn't make it to our hearts.  Verses we've memorized as children, or in Christian school, or from countless Sunday services... we can quote them, but they don't impact us. They don't cause emotion to erupt!  They don't create drive for His Kingdom!  They are in the mind - that's it.  

Too often us Christians live from our memories.  Experiences of the past are the only stories we have to tell.  The days when our hearts were tender and passionate.  "I remember this mission trip... or youth group days..."  But there's a lack of fresh passion in our hearts.  

What is God doing today?  Right now?  I rather have one verse of Scripture make it to my heart, then 20 stay only in my mind.  I want to live with passion, with a heart alive, with fresh experiences, with depth of intimacy, with emotion and zeal... I don't want to be like the "believers" that Stephen talked about, "You stubborn people! You are heathen at heart and deaf to the truth.  Must you forever resist the Holy Spirit?" (Acts 7)

Too often we get too preoccupied with making our ministries effective, cool, and whatever else, but then we neglect the heart.  I remember Paul's words about "those who brag about having a spectacular ministry rather than having a sincere heart before God" (2 Cor. 5:12).  

I pray that I never forget to keep my heart healthy and alive in the midst of my ministry.  I pray that I would never let me serving God get in the way of me loving Him.  God keep my heart alive and fresh.  
Post a Comment