Wednesday, September 17, 2008

TIME & DISTANCE REVEALS

I think one of the things that reveal what is deepest in our hearts is how we feel when we’re distanced from the things we love.  When I’m away from my car, I don’t miss it at all.  When I’m away from my TV, I don’t even notice it.   I can also be far away from lots of people I know, but it doesn’t bother me too much.   However, when I’m distanced from my top priorities (God & my family), I feel like junk. 

[GOD] The last couple weeks we have been so busy trying to move our stuff, buy things for our new apartment, and prepare for our first South Bay Church event that it has been really hard to have consistent quality time with Jesus. 

I feel such a longing for Him right now.  I hate feeling distanced from Him.  My attitude is not as good, my personality is not as friendly, my patience is limited, and my love is not as deep.  I’m a much better person when I’m in close proximity to Jesus.  When I’m not as close to Him as I want to be, I feel it strongly and deeply.  He’s been my biggest motivation for getting our house in order quickly, because it’s really hard to focus when you’re living in an apartment full of boxes!

[FAMILY] Today I’m heading out to Kansas city to spend 5 days with one of our sponsor churches.  I’m happy for the opportunity, but I absolutely hate being away from my family.  I think of them all day long.  I think of Lily singing her songs to me at night, I think of Cailyn trying to bite my nose and cheek, I think of the great intimacy I feel when Mandy and I are spending time together over dinner…  I miss them beyond words. 

The good part of all this is that I 1know I love God and my family more than anything on this earth.  I can be away from many things for a few days, including ministry, and not miss it too much, but you get me away from my God or my family and I’m a miserable man. 

“The Lord is close to all who call on Him, to all who call on Him sincerely” Ps. 145:18

Post a Comment