Saturday, November 22, 2008

There are people in the numbers.

Today as I read the Scriptures, I felt God reminding me of how deeply concerned He is about each person on this earth and, more specifically to where I live, how deeply He cares for each person living in the Silicon Valley.  

My daughters were watching the "Jonah" Veggietales movie this morning, so I decided to read again book of Jonah in the Old Testament during my personal devotional time.  It's a great story about God's mercy and never-ending compassion toward even the worst people on earth.  

At the end of the story, Jonah, a devout and stubborn Hebrew Prophet, gets mad at God for mercifully "changing His mind" about destroying the city of Niveveh, since they had turned from their evil ways.  I love God's final words:

"Nineveh has more than 120,000 people living in spiritual darkness, not to mention all the animals.  Shouldn't I feel sorry for such a great city?" Johah 4:11

I could picture God saying, "The Silicon Valley has more than 2.5 million people living in spiritual darkness... shouldn't I feel sorry for such a great place?"  I'm not saying all people in the valley are in "darkness", but I do believe that to live life to the fullest, or in the "light", we need to walk in relationship with our Creator.  Statistics show us that more than 95% of people in the valley don't have a relationship with Jesus Christ, and in that way, they live in spiritual darkness.   

Just as God sent a Prophet (who was also a sinner) to Nineveh in order for them to experience His Presence, He has also sent us to the Silicon Valley, so that someday the 2.5 million people here can experience His Love and then take it to the rest of the world.  This also serves of a reminder of how God can use imperfect, but willing people, to accomplish great things on His behalf.  We all have our areas of "darkness" and only through God's mercy we can live purposeful and meaningful lives.  

"Thank you God for letting us be part of your Work on Earth.  Thank you for not just looking at us as numbers, but as individuals who desperately need you everyday."


Post a Comment