Monday, October 26, 2009

Entering God's Rest

"God's promise of entering His rest still stands, so we ought to tremble with fear that some of you might fail to experience it... For only we who believe can enter His rest." Hebrews 4:1,3

I remember the first time I entered "God's rest". I was in my room sitting on my bed... I was 15 years old and was living in Farmington Hills, MI. I had just come back from a weekend retreat with my church youth group. Before that retreat, I was living a "double-life" - using drugs every day, lying continually, yet claiming to believe in Jesus.

During a worship time in that retreat, the Holy Spirit touched my life and brought me to a place of repentance before Him. I cried and knelt and asked for God's forgiveness in my life. After the retreat, I came home and talked to my parents about the life I was living - I opened up my life and brought it to the light.

So there I was, sitting on my bed, with a clear conscious before God and people for the first time in my life! I experienced the fulfillment of Jesus' words, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28) I felt an overwhelming sense of peace enter my heart and I said to God, "Father if this is what it is like to be right with you, then it's better than any drug I've ever experienced". That peace became my new addiction.

To this day I cannot stand to live outside of God's rest. If there's any sin or area of my life that's in the dark and that Peace begins to fade away, I immediately ask for God's forgiveness and bring it to the light again. I can understand why the writer of Hebrews said, "we ought to tremble with fear that some of you might fail to enter it" - because once you know what it is like to enter it, you know how terrible it is to be out of it.

Let me encourage you to bring every area of your life to the light. If there are sins you are dealing with that are unconfessed or that no one knows about, you will not have God's peace. God created this place of Rest, so that we would enter it every day and live in it. Get down on your knees, expose your heart before Jesus, and step into a new addiction of peace.

"God's rest is there for people to enter... so God set a time for entering His rest, and that time is today... So let us do our best to enter that rest" Hebrews 4:6, 7, 11

Post a Comment