Tuesday, October 05, 2010

El Elyon: God Most High. Creator and Possessor of heaven and earth.

In Genesis 14, we see Abram was about to be faced with the biggest temptation of his life. An evil King offered him abundant riches, material goods, and fame, but this would mean he would have to compromise the reputation of God. Abram's response was amazing. With all confidence he says, "I solemnly swear to the Lord, God Most High (El Elyon), Creator of heaven and earth, that I will not take so much as a single thread or sandal thong from what belongs to you..." (14:22)

You have to ask, what gave Abram such confidence and boldness of faith? Well, right before this temptation, God revealed to Abram (through Melchizedek, the priest) a part of His Character that forever changed Abram's understanding of His God. Melchizedek blessed Abram with this blessing:

"Blessed be Abram by God Most High (El Elyon), Creator of heaven and earth. And blessed be God Most High (El Elyon), who has defeated your enemies for you." Genesis 14:19-20 (NLT)

This was the first record of God revealing Himself as El Elyon. El Elyon literally means, "God Most High, creator and possessor of heaven and earth." God was basically saying, "Abram you're going to need to know something about me. There is no one greater than Me, there is no one above Me. Everything on earth belongs to Me. I AM not only Creator and Possessor of all things, but I AM also in control of everything in the Universe. I AM Supreme and Sovereign."

Have you heard God speak those words to you? Every time I'm tempted or feeling like I don't have what it takes to accomplish my purpose, I've been hearing this whisper... "I AM God Most High, El Elyon..." That's why Abram felt no temptation to take the riches offered by the King. He knew God was ultimately the boss of everything, He owned it all already.

Let that be an encouragement to you this week. El Elyon is in control. There is no problem, or barrier, or person, or temptation too great for Him. Make David's prayer part of your daily worship this week:

"I will be filled with joy because of you. I will sing praises to your name, O Most High (El Elyon)." Psalm 9:2

Other key passages about El Elyon: Genesis 14:18-20, 2 Sam. 22:14; Psalm 18:13, Psalm 7:17, Psalm 21:7, Psalm 46:4, Psalm 47:2, Psalm 50:14, Psalm 57:2, Isaiah 14:13-14, Lam. 3:38, Daniel 3:26, Daniel 4:32, Luke 1:32, Luke 1:35, Luke 1:76, Mark 5:7
Post a Comment