Monday, October 04, 2010

Knowing God by Name

"Our help is in the name of the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth." Psalm 124:8 (NIV)

It's very rare that I use a regular book as a guide in my daily devotional time with God. However, a few months ago, I kept feeling the urge to study the Hebrew names of God. I did some research on good resources and ended up ordering David Wilkerson's "Knowing God by Name: Names of God that bring hope and healing".

I've been using this book in the last couple weeks as a guide to my Bible study and prayer time and it's been powerful in my life. My initial thought was that learning God's revealed names in Scripture would expand my view of His greatness, and it has... but even more, it's also showed me the longing of God to be known intimately by His people. I sense God healing deep parts of my heart and showing me things about Himself that are directly related to my season of life.

You see, though God revealed Himself as the great "I AM" (Yahweh), He also revealed himself to His people with other names in order to show them other aspects of His nature and character (El Elyon, El Shaddai, Jehovah Jireh...). The interesting thing though, is that He would only reveal these names to His people as they needed them--in their moments of deepest crisis. It was His way of saying "I AM whatever you need, at any point in your life. I AM Deliverer when you need deliverance, I AM Healer when you need healing... I AM what you need."

For the next few days I will share some of my learnings of God's names and ways that He is speaking to me through them. My hope is that you would also find your perspective of God's greatness increasing and, at the same time, increase in your intimacy with God as you sense Him speaking hope and healing into your life through the revelations of His names.

Here are a couple ideas of things I'm doing to help this have a lasting impact in my life:
  • Write the Name of God and definition of that name in my journal, along with the Scripture of that Name.
  • Write and highlight God's revealed name in the margin of my Bible, next to the 1st reference of it in Scripture.
  • Use the Name in my prayer time as I intercede for my church, family, and others.
Post a Comment